Wednesday 6 April 2011

Money, money, money.

So, in my first post I mentioned that since I received the news that I'd been chosen for BHOF, I've been frantically working on my finances.  Some of you may be asking - why enter a competition that you don't have funds to get to? Well, I have a few answers for that.

Firstly, I am a great believer in carpe diem. I may get run over by a bus tomorrow, so I don't let 'small' things like lack of finances stop me from living life.

Secondly, I have been trying for nearly a year now to get a 'real' job. I figured with my production experience, I'd be good at - corporate events management, ticketing, theatre production, theatre marketing etc. I must have applied for over 50 jobs, all of which I was rejected for.

And thirdly, in all honesty, I didn't expect to be chosen for BHOF. Call me an application addict. I apply for burlesque events around the world every year, pretty much just to see if I'm accepted. I use it as a litmus test of my performance abilities. In 2009 I applied for the London Burlesque Festival, got accepted but didn't have the money to go. In 2010, I applied for the New York Burlesque Festival, got accepted, didn't have the money to go but refused to give up as it was too good an opportunity to turn down.

And yet again, I find myself in the same situation. Lucky I know some amazing people who've come to my aid. I've been overwhelmed by all the offers of help and support. I've got 12 performers and 4 helpers volunteering for my fundraiser, La Vida in Las Vegas on Friday April 29. And have been donated some awesome product from performers and costumers around the country for my grand Burlesque raffle.

More about the raffle later. The fundraiser on April 29 will be held at Las Vegas on K'Rd (apt name). I love this venue because it housed burlesque back in the day. It was established in the 1960s and it wasn't until the mid 70s that full nudity was allowed in clubs in NZ (so the current owner tells me - apparently it is was the Aussies performing the musical Hair in Auckland that paved the way for full nudity becoming law - go figure). 

There'll be over 12 performances for the fundraiser, which is so exciting for me as a producer. In the 3 and a bit years of me doing burlesque in Auckland, I've struggled to get more than 3 local performers for shows, simply because there just weren't more than 3. And now I have more than 12 performers available. I think we now officially have a thriving burlesque scene in New Zealand's largest city.

More info on the fundraiser can be found on www.misschiefevents.co.nz/burlesque-nights
I hope you will all come support if you can. And if not, wait for my next post about the burlesque goodie prize raffle that you can buy tickets for, even if you can't make it to the show. Again, I'm overwhelmed by the support my sponsors have given me, gifting some fabulous prizes that are to die for. But more details on that very soon.

In the meantime, I want to achnowledge the support of the performers giving their time for free on April 29, plus the backstage crew:

Ms Tittle Tattle, Bettsy Rose Lee, Miss V, Misschiff Minx, Ms Rosina Lee, Leggy Luna Lucy, Patti Cakes, Foxie French, Delisha Devine, Cherry Lashes, Sarah Milner, Jacinta Vaughn, Mike Clarkin.

Much Love
x

1 comment:

  1. honey, we are are so thrilled and proud of you, amen to helping you get there!

    ReplyDelete