Tuesday 5 April 2011

And So The Nightmares Begin

Yes, I've started to have funny dreams already and the competition is still 7 weeks away. Last night I dreamt I got on the wrong aeroplane, followed by a dream which is a recurring dream I've been having for 15 odd years, stemming from my childhood days of doing dance competitions. In this dream, I turn up to perform as my adult self, only I have to do a dance I did as a child and I have to fit into the costume I wore as a kid.

I don't need a dream analyst to tell me these are anxiety dreams. So I have been thinking about how best to deal with the nerves I'm obviously going to have the day of the competition.  I went to the BHOF (Burlesque Hall of Fame) last year as a spectator and was sitting right at the front. I could see the jelly legs that afflicted a lot of the performers and I saw a few girls who I know are great performers have a bit of a bad day because they were so nervous.

There's obviously a huge amount of pressure to perform well, not just because it's a competition, but because of the people you are performing in front of. I also got the feeling from being in the audience last year that the finalists are under particular scrutiny by those audience members who didn't make the cut for the competition. Nobody said out loud - why was she chosen and not me - but their faces said it all.

So I'm very aware that nerves will be my downfall and I won't perform well unless I keep cool and enjoy myself.  Now I've just got to find a way to not let the situation get the better of me and to just go out on that stage and do my thing.

Suggestions for nerve curtailment are appreciated - Rescue Remedy I've tried before and it didn't work. And alcohol is not an option - it makes me pee and once I've got my costume on, it's not coming off til I get on stage!

MLV x

4 comments:

  1. You are very Brave! most of us avoid competitions, I personally hate competitions and do not subscribe to it... and one can imagine the pressure your now under!!

    Nerve curtailment? How about some deep breathing and some stretches to meditation music or fav relaxing or energising music whatever that works for you with ipod out backstage? :D good luck in any case!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Practice some positive visualisation. Picture yourself recieving the prize, breathe through it. Do this before bed as a meditation sorta thing, then do it on the day and try get your mind into that nice relaxed "I already AM the winner" space. Have no room for doubt, you ARE the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B VITAMINS!!! They are the only thing that keeps me from stressing out. Also, for a solid nights sleep, I take REM Sleep by Clinicians.. works a treat and stops the "mind chatter".

    ReplyDelete